Thursday

Medieval art with beehives

Hieronymous Lang; 1553. Man and woman in bee hive with emblem and fish.

This design is for a stained-glass window commemorating the marriage between two prominent Swiss families.

In the image a beehive supports the figure of a man and another beehive support the figure of a woman. Below are the coat of arms of both families. Read more about this image at the J. Paul Getty Museum.

In medieval times the beehive was considered a symbol of industry and often seen in coats of arms and heraldic badges.

Hieronymus Lang was a glass painter in Schaffhausen, which was an artistic center in Switzerland.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your blog аnd find almoѕt
all οf your pоst's to be just what I'm
lοoking for. Dοes onе оffer gueѕt ωrіteгs tо wгіte сontent to suit your nеeds?
Ι ωoulԁn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on a number of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome weblog!

my blog post :: pikavippi
Feel free to visit my blog post ::

Anonymous said...

Good day! Would you minԁ if I ѕhare уour blog with mу mуsраcе group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thanks

My blog post - www.galaxynote2.fr
Also visit my webpage :: samsung galaxy note 2

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, love old illustrations, love bees, keep it up,,,