Friday

Traditional beekeeping of old

Traditional manufacture of skeps

Skeps have been used for about 2000 years all across Europe. The earliest were baskets made from wicker which was plastered with mud and dung. In the middle ages they were made out of straw or reeds. They are just like an upside down basket.  A weaver of beehives was called a 'Skepper' and you can find this surname still in western countries.

It is now illegal, is some countries, to keep bees in a skep because it is hard to look after the safety of the bees.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Is it illegal in the U.S to use a skep? I remember there being one in my beek class on display and I never got to look it over :( It would be fun to have one of those, I wonder though how you'd keep the bees from swarming out of it?

Anonymous said...

Hello my famіly membег! I wіsh to say that this article іs awesοme, great written аnd include аlmost all significant infos.
I wοuld like to looκ moге postѕ lіκe thiѕ
.
Feel free to surf my homepage :: www.nexusdb.com